Thursday, August 18, 2016

Successful Year ? or !

As we start another school year, we spend a day or two convincing students what it takes to have a successful year.  These range from sharing our classroom procedures, going over the student code of conduct, practicing emergency drills, sharing opportunities for help, and includes giving directions for successfully completing assignments and group work.

At the start of every school year, a dear friend of mine likes to share a quote or two to fellow educators on how to have a successful school year. This year he combines ideas from the great thinkers of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Theodore Guerin.  This is what he shares with us and what I will review from time to time:
"Never doubt that the work we do is the MOST important work ever. For we begin to create our future doctors, lawyers, educators and on and on. It all begins with us.  Remember the excitement and butterflies you feel today when you are in the thick of it mid year! Great things are in store! Learn much! Laugh often! And in the words of Theodore Guerin, "Love the children first. Then, teach them."" -Dr. Scott D. Fech 
I combine his thoughts in a visual for that quick review mid year.


Dr. Fech has also shared the following quote which needs to be reviewed mid year from Haim Ginott.
" I've come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom.  It's my personal approach that creates the climate. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized." - Haim Ginott
I will remember these quotes when or if those butterflies turn to heavy weights.

Have a SUCCESSFUL year!

No comments:

Post a Comment