Thursday, June 16, 2016

Today's inspiration comes from +George Couros.  He inspires many as he is connected to educators and their PLNs through multiple venues.  I follow his insightfulness on Twitter (@gcouros).  I read his frequent blogs (http://georgecouros.ca/blog/) that seem to hit the very situation that I am encountering at that moment.  I have also read his book, The Innovator's Mindset:  Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity.

As I find being connected to blogs very helpful for continual growth benefiting students, it is Couros's blog, 5 Alternatives for "I Don't Have time for That" which has inspired me to begin "Echoes of Innovation".  Growth and improvement as an educator usually goes hand in hand with doing something new or changing what we do.  We all respond to change differently.  This particular blog has us answer these five questions when faced with new things that lead us to want to say, "I don't have time for that.":
  1. How will my students benefit from this practice?
  2. I am not seeing the relevance of this for teaching and learning…could you give me specifics of how this would impact my practice?
  3. How would you suggest incorporating what you are suggesting into my position?
  4. What has been the biggest benefits for your own practice?
  5. If I was to do this, what would it replace that I am doing now?

I begin with this particular blog as it helps inspire me to move forward providing even better experiences for my students next year; to "be more dog", as he describes in his book.  Couros recommends watching this inspiring video to not only describe what it means, but to encourage people to become more innovative.



Maintaining the theme of five from the blog, here are my top 5 take aways from his book as I move forward with in growing the innovative mindset and my students and I:
1.  Innovation needs:  more dog, goals in mind, and connecting to the heart.
2.  Innovation is:  intentional, creates something new and better, disrupts the routine, and is a mindset.
3.  An Innovative mindset is being:  a problem finder, a risk taker, networked, and reflective.
4.  An Innovative classroom offers students:  voice, choice, opportunities for innovation, time for reflection.
5.  "Innovation develops learners and leaders who will create a better present and future creating a better world." 

Here are the top 5 questions I will use for reflection in becoming innovative; also taken from Couros's book:
1.  What is best of the learner?
2.  What can we do with what we know?
3.  How do we prepare for jobs that don't exist?
4.  How can what we teach impact his/her future?
5.  How can we intentionally provide relentless restlessness?

My #Sketchnote for The Innovator's Mindset  by Couros is below.


No comments:

Post a Comment